Wednesday, June 11, 2014

DIY | Canvas Art

I don't know how many times I have looked at DIY projects on Pinterest and "pin" them for later, knowing most of the time I won't have enough guts to actually try one. Maybe I am alone on this one, but I can't help but keep those DIY projects aside for the possibility that I may actually do one. 
So we have below my very first DIY project. I found this on Pinterest from Home and Garden Design Ideas and immediately thought this couldn't be too difficult. Yes it is very easy, but man it took a little bit more time and thought process before hand then I had initial thought. 
So my first step was, head to my local craft store! 


What You Will Need:

9 3x3 Canvas
Scrapbook paper of your choosing (Will be used as the base design)
2 Paint Brushes
A Sponge Applicator
Mod Podge
2 Different Colored Acrylic Paint
Scissors (or anything to cut the scrapbook paper)
Exacto-Knife
Any type of bowl to pour the paint in.
Stencil (optional)
Any other decorative stickers (optional)

Instructions:

The first thing I did was cut out 9 3x3 size pieces of scrapbook paper (its okay if there is a little bit hanging off the edge of the canvas, we will take care of that later). I chose to go with a pearl color paper with solid white designs on them. (I got my scrapbook paper from Hobby lobby in a pack, so it came with multiple designs) Out of the pack I chose to go with two different designs, one had thin stripes (which I used on 5 canvases along the outer part), and the second design I went with was a rose pattern (which I used on the last 4 and bunched together).

I chose the white/pearl scrapbook paper because I planned to add another element in a light pink shade on top of the scrapbook paper to add dimension.
Once I cut out all 9 pieces of scrapbook paper I laid them out on top of the canvas to be sure the design is how I wanted it to look. Once I was certain I used the mod podge to adhere the paper to the canvas. I used one of the paint brushes to "paint" on the mod podge onto the canvas. Be careful and use a thin layer of mod podge because it will dry faster and won't wrinkle the scrapbook paper when applied on the canvas.

After I applied the mod podge and scrapbook paper, I let them dry over night, just to be sure they are completely dry.

Once I was certain the mod podge was dry, any of the edges that had scrapbook paper hanging over the edge, I took an exacto-knife and cut the extra edges off. Be careful not to cut at the canvas.

The next thing I did was lay the canvases out the way I wanted them to hang on the wall. After I had them laid out the way I wanted, I took my rose stencil and placed it where and how I wanted it to be. I then took my light pink acrylic paint and a sponge and applied the paint to the stencil in a dabbing motion. I chose to use a sponge instead of a paint brush because I didn't want any streak marks and the sponge adds a more natural look to it.
After the first rose was complete, I took the stencil off and  let the painted rose dry completely before continuing onto another rose. I did this to be sure I didn't smudge any of the paint.

I just continued with the paint and stencil until I was happy with the amount of roses on the canvases. Once all of the roses were completely dry, I took another acrylic paint that was glitter instead of a solid color and added it to the edges of each rose. I did this step to add another layer of dimension. The glitter wasn't very noticable, but I thought it added just the right amount of dimension without looking tacky.

Once all the paint was dry, I added some light pink bead stickers and placed them randomly, anywhere I thought was too spacious but couldn't fit a rose.

The instructions I got the idea from stated to paint the edges the same color as the paint on your wall. I decided to leave the edges of mine all white, because my scrapbook paper is white also. My walls are a light gray, so I thought the contrast on the edges of the canvas and the white scrapbook paper wouldn't look quite right.


I thought this DIY was so easy to complete. It took a little bit more of a thought process for the design than I had originally thought, but I am so happy with the way it looks when completed. It matches the theme I have planned for the master bathroom perfectly!

Hope you all try this DIY project and if you do, please share your creations!

Have a wonderful day! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment