Disclosure: This product was sent to me to review. I did not purchase this with my own money, but all opinions are 100% mine. I did not get paid to review this, nor did I get paid to praise it.
First off, I want to thank Influenster for sending me this product to try out. Until I was sent Guardian, I had never heard of it. I stuck to the Off! brand and usually didn't stray away from that. Where I live bug spray is an essential during Spring and Summer. With out it I constantly get bit by mosquitos and have tons of bugs around me when I spend any time outside. I currently live off a lake, which means I have a breeding ground for mosquitos in my backyard.
Since I had used Off! all of the time, I didn't notice the smell or the feel of the product on my skin until I tried Guardian. The plus to the Guardian repellent is it is 100% DEET free!
I was very unaware of what DEET really was and what the real dangers were. So here is a little information about DEET for those who are not truly aware.
- DEET was originally developed by the ARMY for US Soldiers for protection while in insect infested areas.
- It is a colorless liquid that has a faint odor and does not dissolve in water easily.
- Can enter your blood stream via your skin, breathing it in, or ingesting it.
- Once entered your blood stream it can take up to 24 hours to leave your system.
- The United States Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA) has constituted DEET as "not classifiable as a human carcinogen". Which means that there is not enough evidence to say whether or not it can cause cancer.
- Studies shown pregnant women using a product with 20% DEET in their second and third trimesters. This study showed DEET had crossed the placenta and was found in 8% of the cord.
- DEET is extremely toxic to water life. DEET does not dissolve or mix well with water.
With the little research I did, I found that DEET isn't just harmful to bugs, it can be harmful to your pets and the environment around you. After I got a little more understanding behind DEET and why Guardian is so big on not using it, I appreciated the product a lot more. Finding a bug repellent that doesn't use DEET is not as easy as finding one that does. I would say about 80% of the products in common stores use DEET.
After using this for the first time, I was taken back by the smell. The smell wasn't horrible, it was actually quite pleasant. I could tell right off the bat, this product was very natural. It had a very plant based scent, with a hint of lemon to it. I liked it in comparison to the chemically scent that other bug repellents have.
The texture was about the same as other bug repellents, nothing stood out at first application. After going about my business, I noticed after about 10 minutes, the product seemed to settle on my skin. If I compare it to other bug repellents I had used in the past, I would be left with a layer of the product on my skin and hairs. With Guardian I wasn't left with the sticky feeling others would have. I can say that it did leave a layer of product but it was much more comfortable on my skin.
I used Guardian on two occasions to get a real feeling for it in different scenarios.
- The first time I used it when the sun was going down (which is peak time for mosquitos) while I was taking a jog/walk with my husband. In this scenario sweat was involved and it was peak time for bugs.
- Results: The repellent didn't budge. It lasted throughout the whole workout and didn't lost its strength. I didn't have any bug bites and I didn't notice it at all on my skin.
- The second time I used it was during the day in my backyard. It was blazing hot outside and I was running around playing with my dog.
- The Results: Again, the repellent lasted throughout the whole process. Not one bug bite, the product didn't rinse off with my sweat, and my dog didn't mind the smell it left on my skin.
I can say over all, this product worked very well for me. I wasn't left with any bug bites and I thought Guardian bug repellent felt a lot better on my skin. I love the all naturalness of it as well. If I can stay away from chemicals, I will take it in a heart beat.
For more information on Guardian products, click here.
Have any of you tried Guardian? If so, what is your opinion? If not, would you try it out? Let me know in the comments below! I would love to hear what you all think. :)